Saturday, February 10, 2007

Startup

Some of you have known for a while now that I've been playing with actionable, large-scale concepts for carbon sequestration. If this term isn't familiar to you, it's because the media haven't been doing much to inform us that we'll soon be spending billions of dollars to pump climate culprit carbon dioxide into reservoirs in the seafloor. I'm all for planning to avoid global climate catastrophe, but this plan seems like a huge waste -- isn't there *something* useful we can do with all this carbon dioxide? Maybe make lots of Perrier or something? Isn't it dangerous to pump that much CO2 into a reservoir in contact with the living oceans? Doesn't CO2 dissolve coral reefs? It just doesn't seem all that well thought-out.

And yesterday, in a surprise at least to me, Al Gore and Richard Branson (of the Virgin mega-empire) have come together to offer a prize of US$25million for the first person to come up with a way of removing 1 billion tons of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere over the next ten years in the battle to beat global warming. If I've been letting my work on this project languish, then languish no more! It's time to find out for real whether my working concept can actually make the kind of difference the world needs.

So right now I've focused on a single workable, industrial application for dealing with the CO2 problem. If it works out, it will eliminate the need for sequestering CO2 in underground caverns or anyplace else. If you're interested in following my work as this concept develops, then watch this space. I hope to post at least weekly, that is, in the hope that my progress warrants it.

No comments: